Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Taking a Break from Basketball To Help Big Brothers, Big Sisters

I'm not going to post on basketball today, but instead inform you guys of a fundraiser I am participating in for Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee.  For those of you who don't know, I have volunteered for two years with this organization mentoring a child during his 4th and 5th grade school years.

Despite certain hardships in the relationship with my "little", due to the fact that he has ADHD and certain behavioral problems, the program has been incredibly rewarding for me. His mother and older brother have both been arrested this past year and his uncle was murdered. While it may not always be obvious to me, and sometimes going to volunteer in the middle of the week right from class to the school then to practice was difficult, it is clear I am making a difference in his life. 

I think I realized I was making a big difference this past year on Valentine's Day. We were making cards for his teacher and he made a card for me saying, "You are my friend. I love you." Getting that card from him meant a lot because I only spend an hour a week with him but it is clear my impact, and the impact of others involved in this program, goes far beyond that one hour a week.

To conclude my time with Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee, I am taking part in their Bowl For Kids' Sake fundraiser on April 25th with a team that includes the 5 other managers of the program. I am pledging to donate $25 of my own money toward the cause and hope some of you will join me in making that donation. 


I know there are a lot of worthy causes out there and lots of other ways to spend money, but I think this is a very worthy cause and one that I am grateful to be a part of.


To make a donation to our team and cause, please click on this link: http://tnbowling.kintera.org/dgm591 and donate. Thanks for your time, and I hope you all see the value in donating.

No comments:

Post a Comment